Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Wax Q&A

Q & A: WAX

KLO: You're based in Los Angeles, California. Are there any artists in that region that have influenced your music? What other artists have helped influence your musical stylings?

WAX: I am not from Los Angeles but I definitely listened to a lot of Los Angeles artists growing up. NWA, The Pharcyde, Cypress Hill, Red Hot Chili Peppers just to name a few. I probably listened to just as much west coast music as east coast music growing up in Maryland. Tons of artsists from many musical genres have influenced me it would be impossible to name them all.

KLO: The internet's impact on the industry is undeniable. You're heavy on Youtube and MySpace, explain how that's helped to further your career.

WAX: Well youtube has been really big for me. It still is crazy to me that you can record something at your house then make it available to the whole world instantly. It's a great outlet for creative people. In my case a good amount of people now are entertained by the stuff I put on there and every day new people discover it for the first time. My manager, who is currently making some really good things happen for me, found me on youtube randomly.



KLO: The internet actually introduced you to EOM the producer of your album "Liquid Courage." Will the two of you continue to work on future projects together?

WAX: Yep. We're working on a new album right now (slowly). I'm really swamped with shit right now and I'm really focusing hard on my youtube page and some collaborations and such, but yeah we're working on an album. No matter where my career goes EOM will be a large part of it. That's my dude!

KLO: You've also worked with producers such as Nottz (Busta Rhymes, Snoop, The Game). Describe the experience working with someone with a resume as extensive as Nottz's

WAX: Nottz is a cool humble dude who happens to be a musical genius. He's laid back and his studio in Norfolk, VA has a very friendly atmosphere to it. I got there and we listened to some of my music, then some of his. The beats he played for me were all incredible and I felt like a kid in a candy store. We knocked out a few tracks and I'm still not exactly sure when they will be released.


KLO: Trying to become a rap star at this day in age is very difficult because of the state of the music industry, economy, and Internet. What were some of the struggles you experienced early on in your career?

WAX: I still struggle. I am late on all my bills and I can never afford to do anything. I am broke as fuck.

KLO: What are your thoughts on the industry right now? What would you recommend to aspiring artists shopping for a deal?

WAX: The industry is changing. Don't rely on the big companies you have absolutely no choice but to build up your own thing. Even if your goal is a major label record deal, in most cases they don't give a fuck unless you're already doing your thing. They want to take a slice of the pie you've already baked. They are not looking to take risks with unproven artists. The best thing to do is not to worry too much about deals and shit. Perfect your craft and use all these tools. The internet is powerful as shit.

KLO: You've also collaborated with artists such as Dumbfounded and Prince EA. Are there any other collaborations we should be checking for in the near future? And who are some of the other young artists you're feeling in the game today?

WAX: I don't really have any collaborations like that lined up right now, most of the collaborations I'm gonna be doing are with producers. I ain't gonna say shit about them until they actually happen haha. I don't get much of a chance to check out new music like I used to....I spend most of my free time working on my own shit. I love Wale's album though and I've heard some hot shit by Jay Electronica. I think Drake is tight too.

No comments:

Post a Comment